The 10 Minute Story: events on a farm with regards to a storm brewing.

Missy made a loud moo in my general direction. I could swear sometimes she’s smarter than I give her credit, but then she has a vacant stare while she chews on some cud.

“Yeap, the storms coming girl. Weather man says it’s gonna be a biggin’ so you’re goin’ into the barn.”

Another moo pierces the still air as a small dry wind begins to pick up. I taste and smell the changing humidity.

“It’s comin on faster than they said. Come on stupid cow, hurry up and get inside.” I get to pushin’ her and pullin’ on the collar. I try to lead her with some hay or some fruit. She doesn’t budge. “You’re the last one. Don’t you want to join your friends?” After just a few seconds a lightning bolt pierces the sky, one second the sky was slightly cloudy, the next a dark cloud was a few miles from my barn. And then the light from the next bolt sends me to the ground. The sound was so loud I could swear it hit me. But instead I look up and see the roof of the barn has caught fire.

The cows start to make a riot and storm out from the barn. It’s been burning for a while and the roof collapses. I try to grab a hose and put it out. Missy is just standing right next to me. She moos at me again as I run back and forth with a pathetic drizzle of water. I realize that the rain has started. It pours and pours, the fire eventually goes out, and I sit beside Missy completely exhausted.

“There’s no way ya knew all that was gonna happen.”

Missy licks my face as beads of rain water wash down.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 19: Killing the Poor to Save the Poor

Day 13: Writing at Camp